Monday, April 16, 2007

Isn't it arbitrary....

...when the same week Imus is fired for saying "nappy-headed hos," the
Supreme Court decides not to hear the appeal of a man who was fired for
complaining too much about a white co-worker who referred to the
snipers who ran amok in Washington DC in Oct 2002 by saying:

"They should put those two black monkeys in a cage with a bunch of black apes and let the apes [sexually assault] them,"

Was
this somehow less bad than Imus? It was certainly less "celebrity." But
it was 'uttered' (<-- legal term meaning 'said') at work to a somewhat captive audience. Then again, the co-worker was talking about murderers. I think I've said before that I'm a fan of free speech, but with freedom comes responsibility not to be an ignorant prick. My thoughts are that Imus had it coming...although I'm not sure why this particular jab was the one that got him thrown out. Power of the media perhaps? As for the Court, from the little I know about the incident, I think they made the right decision. Full article here.

No comments: