Friday, April 13, 2007

Consumer Review - Enviga

I've been eyeing it in the supermarket, I've been blogging about it, I've been innundated with the posters at the gym (it's marketed in there as a "workout in a can," essentially). And today I tried it for the first time. Green Tea flavor. Conditions were perfect, it was ice cold, I'd been in a hot car for over an hour (with an hour to go) - there was no excuse for it not to hit the spot. But despite this, it was so unbearably gross that notwithstanding my desperation for something refreshing (and caffinated - my only entertainment for this roadtrip was the PMBR property lecture), I was forced to reach for my half-day-old luke warm coffee instead. Here's the best description I've been able to compose: It's like someone threw some alka-seltzer tablets into diet tonic water and then added more nutra-sweet (specifically the kind in the pink packages) and some tannins. Chalky and dry with that bizzare plasticy-saccharine aftertaste, it truly made me feel a little sick.

Bottom line: At a buck fifty a pop, I don't care how many calories it burns or how much EGCG and calcium is dissolved in there - I'd rather go for a run or pay the $2 for a sugar-free Red Bull. That stuff is money.

No comments: