Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Consumer Review - Diet CokePlus

I have an acquired taste (regrettable passion?) for diet soda which makes what I have to say about DietCokePlus all the more sad.

The first disappointing thing about it is the label. The front is nice, "plus" is in rainbow letters, that's cute. I like the choice of seabreeze blue for the accents and cap. "Diet Coke with Vitamins & Minerals," it says. But then you turn to the Nutrition Facts on the back and realize you can probably get more vitamins and minerals out of a tablespoon of the water from your showerhead. Or maybe, depending on your cleaning habits, from the showerhead itself.

Per 8oz serving...
Niacin - 15% Daily value
Vitamin B6 - 15%
Vitamin B12 - 15%
Magnesium - 10%
Zinc - 10%

Notably completely absent are vitamin A, calcium, iron, and perhaps the most commonly (i.e. easily and cheaply) dissolved vitamin in prepackaged food and food-like products, vitamin C.

Also notably, in the ingredient lineup, coloring, aspartame (nutrasweet), and caffeine all occur in greater amounts than any of the above vitamins & minerals.

So if you were expecting a significant dose of anti-oxidants, this isn't for you. If you were looking for cough syrup that comes in coke flavor, this is a close substitute, which brings me to my second disappointment. Diet beverages are usually 'too sweet' but this is off the charts, and I think it only comes in "diet." I would recommend adding a cup of tap water to every 20oz bottle in order to dilute the aspartame and and top off the minerals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! The store that I use for online grocery shopping is offering a special on Coke Plus this week, but I couldn't find a list of ingredients on their web site. Now that I know it contains Aspartame, I won't bother ordering any. Yuck!

I wonder why they didn't make it with Splenda. I also wonder what in the world is the matter with the people who approve these products. Why can't they compare them to Classic Coke, and TRY to get the taste of Diet Coke as close to the original as possible?

I am mildly diabetic, so I can't drink the Real Thing anymore. Guess I'll stick to water and iced tea (with Splenda).

Thanks again for the warning!

exhoicat