Sunday, March 4, 2007

Of byproduct camps and spandrels

"Religious belief is an outgrowth of brain architecture that evolved during early human history."

This is one thing that scholars studying the evolution of religion can agree on, reports Hening in the NYT Magazine today. Brilliance. Lest I leave any question as to my religious leanings.

"'Natural selection made the human brain big,' Gould wrote, 'but most of our mental properties and potentials may be spandrels - [...spandrels?] that is nonadaptive side consequences of building a device with such structural complexity.' The possibility that God could be a spandrel offered Atran a new way of understanding the evolution of religion."

This whole (long) article is one brilliant soundbyte after another. But I'm reminded from somewhere over to my right that you can't prove a negative. I'm dubious.

No comments: